Saturday, July 4, 2009

Tik... Driving mothers to the edge

Erica Sampson, 54, a single mother from Mitchells Plain has been driven to despair after four of her five sons became drug addicts and contemplated poisoning them rather than watch them destroy themselves. (from IOL)

She has worked as a domestic worker and cleaner her whole life, dreaming her sons - who range in age from 19 to 33 - would one day have a better life.

But then, one after the other - except for the middle one - they started using tik (methamphetamine) and a cocktail of other drugs, including heroin, dagga, and mandrax.

She had high hopes for her youngest. But even he has turned into a tik monster, telling her last week: "I'm going to kill you in your sleep."

"I loved this child. I gave him everything. I couldn't believe he could do this to me," she said.


The girlfriend of one of the boys said: "The first time I tried tik, it was like heaven. I had so much energy - it makes you feel on top of the world."

This disaster can be laid squarely at the door of the CDA and the Government who have been sleeping on the job. This plague has sprung up in the last 5 years and there has been no GOOD response. The reality is that things will get far worse before they better.

No comments: